Monday, March 30, 2009

Holi!!!

Hari Krishna.... Hari Krishna... Krishna, Krishna... Hari, Hari...
Hari Rama... Hari Rama... Rama, Rama...... Hari, Hari...

Driving from Provo to Spanish Fork the scenery is not that exciting. Small towns. Cows. Fields. Sage brush. But then, after about 45 minutes into the drive, you look out your right hand window and what do you see? A huge Indian palace sitting on a hill among the dirt and sage brush. It's really surreal.

In this case the temple and the lawn were covered to capacity with thousands of people, mostly BYU students, gathered to celebrate one of the most anticipated holidays of the spring. Holi, the Hindu spring festival.

We got there way early. Early enough to get a real parking spot in the real parking lot! (Cars line the highway for miles.... I walked 45 minutes last year) After buying 7 bags of chalk and feeding the llamas we sat down to watch the performers who performed all types of dance from India and the surrounding countries. Way cool for me.... not so cool for the girls in my ward I was there with.

Next was the main event- the burning of the witch effigy and the color throwing! the first few minutes it's impossible to see 10 feet in front of you, or to even breath correctly. (I'm in the cloud below)

But soon the color settled and the real party started. I worked my way up into the mosh pit and soon ran into (quite literally) other friends from my ward. We did our best not to get trampled as we watched the crowd surfers.

Me: I've never been crowd surfing.
Girls: You want to try it?
Me: Ummmm....... I'm not so sure.
Girls: You should.
Me: Ok.

I'm not so easily convinced in all things... :) But I gave them my color and they lifted my up into the hands of the crowd. I was one of the first girls to go up in a crowd of 85% men so they were careful not to drop me. Unfortunately they wouldn't put me down either. And there was that one who decided to pull my shirt up and show my belly button to the world. But in general it was an experience I would recommend. ;)

When I made it out and had thrown the rest of my color I went up to the temple for some awesome vegetarian food and dancing. And in the little Indian shop under the temple I got ankle bells for classical Indian dance!
It was a good weekend :)

1 comment:

Jonathan Weiss said...

yeah! wish i could have been there.